This chocolate espresso bundt cake was a birthday cake for my brother, Angel D. (there are a lot of Angel's in my family so they all go by their middle initial). His girls helped me with the finishing touches.
Chocolate Espresso Bundt Cake
- 1 1/4 cups brewed espresso
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon buttermilk (or 1 ¼ cups + 1T of milk mixed with 1 ¼ tsp of white distilled vinegar)
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups, plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside. I like to flour chocolate cake with cocoa powder instead so that when you invert the cake the top doesn’t look muddy with white unbaked flour.
- Brew the espresso. (I use a large stovetop espresso maker.) Pour freshly brewed espresso over cocoa powder in a small glass bowl, whisk together and allow to come to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a beater attachment, beat together sugar, eggs and egg yolk on low speed for about 1 minute. Mixture should look fluffy and pale yellow. Add the oil and vanilla extract and mix on low again for another minute. Scrape the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the cooled cocoa mixture and beat on medium/low for 1 minute. Scrape bowl down.
- Sift flour, salt and baking soda together over a separate bowl or parchment paper.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk in tandem beginning and ending with the dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. The batter will be very loose. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45mins to an hour, or until a cake tester (I use a wooden skewer) inserted in the cake comes out with just a couple of crumbs attached to the skewer.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan and then invert onto a cooling rack.
Quick Chocolate Espresso Ganache Glaze
- 6 oz chocolate
- 6 oz espresso
- Measure chocolate pieces and put in glass bowl
- Brew espresso.
- Measure out freshly brewed HOT espresso and pour on top of chocolate. Whisk to emulsify.
- The ganache will be quite loose while mixture is hot. Allow the ganache to cool down before pouring over cake.