I have to say I am LOVING my modified Paleo diet. We're eating lots and lots of leafy greens and lean meats. I throw in a potato, sweet or white, in there almost at every lunch and dinner meal. I've found that even with that modification, the week that I added this Gluten Free (Paleo) Banana Bread to my morning breakfast ritual, I started to see pounds fall off again! (The initial huge pregnant weightloss had tapered off at 4 weeks post partum.) Very exciting! No problems with my milk supply either, baby girl is still a hungry hippo and is being satiated at every feeding.
I have to start stocking up on more bananas as this recipe has officially become a staple in my house. It's perfect eaten plain or warmed up with a bit of hot tea or coffee. I think the next time I do it though I'll try swapping out the shortening for something else. Maybe coconut oil or applesauce or a combination of the two. I'll have to research it and see what would be the best thing and let you know how that experiment goes. In the meantime, try this recipe out! It tastes healthy but delicious. The original recipe can be found at Elana's Pantry. She has some really scrumptious looking recipes there that I can't wait to try out.
Gluten Free (Paleo) Banana Bread
- 4-5 medium bananas, best if very ripened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 T vanilla extract, pure
- 1 T honey
- ¼ cup vegan shortening
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying vegetable spray.
- Process bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, honey and shortening in either a food processor or Vitamix blender.
- Add dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Process until just combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Check around 35 minutes and turn.
- Insert wooden skewer to check for doneness. When skewer comes out with just a few crumbs attached, take loaf pan out of oven and allow to cool.